Deer skin has a soft, buttery texture while providing a truly exceptional grip. It holds up very well over time, retaining its tightness and breaking in like your favorite baseball glove. For these reasons, it is the preferred training ito of our tsukamakishi Ben. For a reasonable price, you can have your handle wrapped in the most unique and attrative material we have found so far! (Note that selecting the Wakizashi/Tanto size will reduce the price for the smaller handle size.)
A couple of different textures are available: smooth and
This wrapping service includes:
- New ito in whatever available color you like
- Basic adjustment of your fuchi and kashira for better fit
- Placement of menuki in the "traditional" place unless you specify differently
- Some people want their ray skin blackened (instead of the natural white): this is complimentary, but going from black back to white requires new same (extra cost)
Not included in the $259 price:
- A new handle: you send us your handle and we re-wrap it. We can build a new handle for you, but that will require you to ship us your sword for fitting and there will be an extra fee.
- New same (ray skin). This is available for an extra fee.
- New furniture. We will mount new furniture that you provide for no extra cost (if the project is reasonable). However, our basic service remounts the fuchi/kashira and menuki that you provide. No new furniture is included. Again, we can add this for an additional fee.
Deer Skin Tsukamaki
One additional caveat: once we take the wrap off of a handle, we may find that it has been badly compromised. For your safety, we will not re-wrap a damaged handle.