Leather ito is durable and supple. It provides an excellent grip, and many who make the switch to leather won't go back! (Note that selecting the Wakizashi/Tanto size option will reduce the price for the smaller handle.)
Nubuck will provide a similar experience, but is a softer leather that feels particularly luxuriant to the hand. It has been buffed to give the leather a raised feeling like suede. Enjoy this unique yet traditional upgrade at a reasonable price.
This wrapping service includes:
- New ito in whatever available color you like
- Basic adjustment of your fuchi and kashira for better fit
- Placement of menuki in the "traditional" place unless you specify differently
- Some people want their ray skin blackened (instead of the natural white): this is complimentary, but going from black back to white requires new same (extra cost)
Not included in the $219 price:
- A new handle: you send us your handle and we re-wrap it. We can build a new handle for you, but that will require you to ship us your sword for fitting and there will be an extra fee.
- New same (ray skin). This is available for an extra fee.
- New furniture. We will mount new furniture that you provide for no extra cost (if the project is reasonable). However, our basic service remounts the fuchi/kashira and menuki that you provide. No new furniture is included. Again, we can add this for an additional fee.
One additional caveat: once we take the wrap off of a handle, we may find that it has been badly compromised. For your safety, we will not re-wrap a damaged handle.